Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Violet reflections

The voices were clear but not loud for others to hear. I turn a deaf for them. Let the voices remain between themselves. I stood alone leaning onto the fat pillar of the narrow hall watching the girls talk secretly.

‘What does she think of us? Fools?’

‘She is so so greedy for money you see. I think we should not let her into our gang.’

And many more from many voices. I heard them in silence. Not a deaf anymore. I wish I was never a part of that gang. But I was for a reason that I was born a girl.

Weather is always a key to my mood. Consider my mood is based on the weather or vice-versa, I really do not know that myself. Nor did I ever try to discover.

It was perfect like a beautiful evening sans the sun and the moon. It was not really an evening but a late morning. I was in my favorite color. The color which made me smile every time I saw myself on a reflection. Be it on the glass door of principal’s office, in the round mirrors on Nita’s hand bag from Rajasthan, my round steel Tiffin box, in the rear mirror of Priya’s new pink scooty pep and anything that gave my image. It was merely the feeling of my favorite color on me. The fact was I only wanted to see my face bright for the reason it is that color.

“Wake up you girl!” Dreaming or what?”

“Not really. I was just…”

“Oh ya! We all know. Don’t explain the bits of your no-human-will-understand stuffs.”

I smiled in embarrassment. Not embarrassed because no human could understand but because they caught me right.

“The bondas must be ready at the canteen. Come let’s go!”

The bondas that help us kill the extra time we have. It means 5 minutes to gobble up and 1 hour to chit chat. They walked away asking me to come along.

I stood there till they reached the canteen and started signaling me from there to join them.

Wanting no more to pretend a deaf I turned to walk through the corridor looking at my reflection on the glass windows of the classrooms. Ignoring tempting thoughts of hot and spicy potato bondas I walked towards the college library.

No comments: