Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thoughts on a rainy day

In the early morning hours of a beautiful day, I am carelessly walking through a small familiar village of Kerala. An unknown, yet so familiar village. I am walking through a forest, tall trees on my either sides, rich green color, the smell of wild flowers, twittering of birds.

I have now reached a playfield. A large empty playfield. A football ground, I am guessing. There is none. Not even an old punctured football in some corner. I start walking again. I notice there is a wall stretching long on my left side. How? I stop and take a closer look of the wall. I gently touch the rust colored laterite wall bricks. My fingers fall into the holes on the bricks. It’s old. The walls! The bricks rather!

I am hearing music. From? I close my eyes and lean on the wall. The music is coming from the other side. It is the sound of bells. Temple bells! It is a temple wall.

‘Om Namah Shivaya…Om Namah Shivaya’

It is Lord Shiva. Images of the Shiva lingam flashes within. The color black with streaks of red. The third eye. Ashes! I pull myself away, scared for some reason that I do not know of. I look at the same old wall, but in amazement this time. It is now layered with wet green moss. The dews are twinkling. Beautiful! But was it there before? Few minutes back? No!

I don’t want to see the world anymore, however beautiful it may be. I stare at my own footsteps and start walking faster now. Out of nowhere appears a silent river on my right. How did I notice it? I don’t know. I stop again and look at the river. It is serene, flowing slowly unlike me-my mind. Maybe I should stop here for a while. What do you say?

I sit on one of the huge flat rocks on the riverside. I slip away a few times before I settle down. I look into the river and see white stones. Smooth round stones. I dig my feet in. Golden anklets against the white marbles, the running water adding luster.

A moment of ecstasy. I smile to myself and look up to the sky with open arms. The sky is getting darker. The clouds seem to follow me forever. In no time falls a drop of rain on my forehead. I close my eyes & imagine the rain that’s going to be.


I open my eyes and here I am in front of a 19-inch desktop in a lonely office on the 25th floor of a commercial tower amid the hustle and bustle of crowded city. Far from what I just imagined.

Do I long to be there you ask? Well no! I don’t! It is only better this way.

Good day!

12 comments:

Sands | കരിങ്കല്ല് said...

:)

A good dream..

But I know that village... :)

Sands.

Off Topic: I was never able to pay this much attention to minute details in any dream. :)

Mind thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Liberated Soul said...

Sands, can't call it a dream. Its like meditating. I think of one place and it takes me further. Like a movie, I see things. I thought it happens to all. If it was a dream probably I would have forgotten the minute details too. Maybe you can help me with the right term for this feeling.

Nitin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nitin said...

Lib As usual too gud...
Shayad yeah padhke upar waale ne 15th ko 'crowded city' mein baarish kar di...

Now don't give me ur usual answer

" :)"

i want something more than this colon and closing brace.

A Liberated Soul said...

The solitude, reply to sands applies. It isn't a dream.

Mr.Niceheartbeaps, Hmph! What's with the smiley?

Srishti, we are the same! :)

Nitin, I am never satisfied with the downpour here. Never! Greedy me! :)

mrniiiceguy said...

When you say "Do I long to be there you ask? Well no! I don’t! It is only better this way." I trust you and i am with you ... Thats the only reasoning for the smiley :)

btw ... Do you realize how many blogs u have on rain ? Do not steal; Rain, a memory; The perfect end to it ... which says And i still wish. And i still long; Mid summer rain; Just rain and me; Through those windows; One out of many; A deserted wait; A quick update ...

And yeah I did read your "I confess" ... which says i do lie, i never regret ... So i am with you :)

Just wish hope you get enough rains your lifetime sweetz :)

mrniiiceguy said...

Just to wear a Critiques cap ... As a piece of "Your work" ... it could have been better ... Lots of broken thoughts ... a familiar village, a forest, a playfield, a football ground, The walls, The temple, A silent river, Huge flat rocks, white stones, Sky, Commercial Tower, Crowded City ... Too many Lanscapes for 10 paragraphs ... Continuity / Flow could have been better ...just my views ... But i like the rains as much as you do ... :)

A Liberated Soul said...

Mr.Niceheartbeaps, anyone who said I don't have serious readers, Hello out there. Look here there's Mr.Niceheartbeaps :) Thank you so much. So very much!

I did try to bring in flow in words, but I couldn't express certain things. You could understand, a lot of things about Kerala is tough to explain. For eg: I half read the novel 'The legends of Khasak' reason being I couldn't understand the translation from Malayalam. And anyway it isn't an easy novel to read. But you get the point right?

And yes you are right, so many landscapes in one post. I think it has been there in my sub-conscious mind for a long time and I madly scribbled it down like a person who has no tomorrow.

mrniiiceguy said...

Do u really listen to such music ?

A Liberated Soul said...

Mr.Niceheartbeaps, I have to credit you for the smile on my face now :) 'such songs' as in??? I also listen to 'pappu can't dance saala'. But the song on my blog is special. This album portrays all the different moods of rain. How can I not like it?

mrniiiceguy said...

Peacock dances in the rain ... why do you only listen to songs ? Gooo ... Dance in the rain ... You will be happier ... Forecast is excellent for two days !!!

and to your q ... i am not exactly a music guy ... but music like this could take me to a world within myselves, where i have never been ...